Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Sci-fi? And engineering? What am I, a nerd?

The answer is yes.

I've narrowed down my options to two passion blogs. As of now, I am leaning towards the first (probably because it gives me an excuse to watch a bunch of movies), but I am open to either. I welcome any suggestions to improve these ideas.

Now, without further ado:

Futures of the Past: Examining the Historical Context of Classic Sci-Fi
Image courtesy of Classic Film

Last night, I watched The Day the Earth Stood Still on Netflix. Made in 1951, it is the UFO story: a flying saucer lands in Washington, DC, and its occupant, named Klaatu, must deliver an urgent message to all of the world's leaders.

Of course, things turn south almost immediately; Klaatu is shot by a soldier, and, while recovering, is told that a meeting of the world's leaders would be impossible due to the Cold War.

For all of its merits as a film, The Day the Earth Stood Still made a greater impression on me as a reflection of the time in which it was made. Its script is steeped in the global tensions of the time, reflecting incredulity at the hostility between the USA and the USSR and fear of the atomic destruction such hostility could bring about.

This blog would focus on one science fiction film per entry, dissecting the film's relationship to the social, political, economic, or religious climate of the time and place in which the film was made. Entries would be in chronological order by the film's release date, starting, perhaps, with Metropolis (released in 1927) and extending... well, as far as I get.

 Why Engineering? I Dunno, I Guess I'm Good at Math

Image courtesy of Behdad Esfahbod

The title of this blog is the answer I usually give when someone asks me why I decided to major in engineering. Though a little tongue-in-cheek, it's true: I don't know exactly why I want to be an engineer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident in my choice of major. I enjoy my classes, and I look forward to any career or research opportunities that may come my way.

But I can't really outline the path I took to get here. I've known for a long time that I wanted to be an engineer, but I don't know how, or even when, I made that decision. I hope that, by writing in this blog about my pathway to engineering, I can find the answers to these questions.

I am not entirely sure how to structure the five entries of this blog. I could make them chronological, starting in elementary school and ending in college. Alternatively, I could write each blog post about a specific topic, such as classwork or extracurricular activities. I am open to any other suggestions, as well.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like the Sci-Fi topic is probably gonna be much for flexible for you and much more insightful for the audience. Plus, If you make this topic more personal, it would provide valuable perspectives on these Sci-fi films that only you are able to reach. Therefore I'd say go with the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how your blogs or we as your classmates could help you with that engineering blog but posting concepts and theories would be fun for me to read. Talking about the sci-fi films, I may know a few classics but seeing your post would expose a little bit more about old films. But if you're going to tell your journey or struggles to become an engineer, I might say go with the first one because I can't relate with your major.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you have a good sense of what you want to do with both these blogs and it's clear the sci-fi blog would be the easier choice. I think it's super interesting and a blog that involved watching films is one I'd totally chose. However, it is possible for you to come to some realization of your place in engineering with its blog but you might also not get that far. I'm not sure that a blog could definitively answer your questions. As far as suggestions go, maybe if you did blog posts about the different fields of engineering and the paths you can take, you could get a better sense of what suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FIRST BLOG.
    Great ideas mate, but I would whole-heartedly request you to write about the first blog. The very picture you selected to reflect your topic had me hooked on to the idea; the concept sounds extremely interesting and you seem in full capacity to do justice to it .here are tons of movies out there to suit your genre, I'm curious to see which ones you pick and what significances you can bring out of each of them.
    I hope you find answers for your second blog idea, but I also hope you to choose to write about the first one.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

The TED Talk: Making the Most of a Niche Topic

The preparation for my TED talk was relatively simple, at least compared to the preparation for my civic artifact speech. I had already t...